Home page of Susanne Buiter
I use a model-based approach in a range of projects spanning from sedimentary structures at Earth's surface
to subducted slabs in the upper mantle, with the common goal to understand the underlying physical processes.
My current research projects include numerical modelling of the formation and evolution of passive margins,
microcontinent formation, subduction and continental collision, code development, and analogue-numerical model
I am a senior researcher at, and team leader of, the Bedrock and Geodynamics Team at the Geological Survey of Norway. I am also member of the Dynamic Earth Research Team of the Centre of Excellence CEED, University of Oslo, Norway. And for 2013-2017 i am the president of the Tectonics and Structural Geology Division of EGU.
- The formation and evolution of passive margins
- Extensional fault zone geometries
- Subduction zone dynamics
- Formation of extensional sedimentary basins
- Basin inversion
I am (co-)convening these events at EGU2017 (23 - 28 April) and hope you
will join if you are at EGU!
- 'The Division meeting for Tectonics and Structural Geology', Susanne Buiter and Claudio Rosenberg, Wednesday 26 April, 12:15 - 13:15, room G1, more info here
- 'Initiation of subduction zones in context of the Wilson cycle. Including the Arne Richter Award lecture by João Duarte. Co-organised with GSA-SGT and AGU-Tectonophysics', Douwe van Hinsbergen, Susanne Buiter, Nancy Rigss, Sarah Roeske, Wednesday 26 April, 08:30 - 10:00, room D3, more info here
- 'Learning from failed models and negative results (Posters only)', Cedric Thieulot, Susanne Buiter, and Laetitia Le Pourhiet, Wednesday 26 April, 17:30 - 19:00, more info here
- 'Open Session on Tectonics and Structural Geology (Posters only)', Susanne Buiter, Magdalena Scheck-Wenderoth, and Claudio Rosenberg, Wednesday 26 April, 17:30 - 19:00, more info here
- Great Debate 'Is Open Science the way to go?', Claudia Alves de Jesus Rydin, Susanne Buiter, and Barbara Ferreira, Thursday 27 April, 15:30 - 17:00, room E1, more info here
- Short Course 'How to write a successful ERC Grant proposal', Susanne Buiter and Claudia Alves de Jesus Rydin, Tuesday 25 April, 13:30 - 15:00, room -2.91, more info here
Team for Bedrock Geology and Geodynamics
Geological Survey of Norway
Phone: +47 73 90 4265
Twitter: Follow @susannebuiter